Monday, April 26, 2010

Open Windows

I press my cheek upon the cold window.
the warm tears slip down the glass
camouflaged by the rain that slides down
down, down, down.
he walks. not once will he turn back
yet my eyes follow, hoping, wishing that he would
my fingers tremble with the latch
and my mouth forms shapeless words
longing for something, just something, to say
yearning for my throat to make a noise
any noise, which he would hear and turn to face me
and acknowledge my existence
or maybe it's self assurance,
maybe I'm the one who needs to know.
Numb and frozen.
my arms, my legs, my mind
the open window, the cold rain
both are not at fault
he steps into his car,
the sound of a closing door thunders in my ears
he leaves behind nothing but tire tracks
and takes with him, my broken heart.
an erratic beating, yet beating nonetheless
as it always has and always will for him.